Thursday, September 13, 2012

SW of Deluth, MN to Jamestown, ND

Yes, here we are in the heart of North Dakota. Minnesota the land of lakes (they say there are 10,000 of them); Garrison Keillor’s Lake Wobegon; wild rice; Lutherans; and canoes are all in the rear view mirror.
I quite liked Minnesota. At least the 24 hours of that I saw. People were very polite and helpful and everything had a small town feel. I suppose because there are mostly small towns. Around lunch time we stopped in Wadena on Route 10. It has a lovely main street with some old buildings that are still in good shape. And buildings like this movie theatre.
P1230580
Earlier in the day we had stopped in Brainerd (mentioned in the movie Fargo) for some dog food. We stopped at a pet store called “Pets North”. And when I asked where the dog food was they informed me that there wouldn’t be any until they had a delivery in the afternoon. I found it difficult to imagine how a pet store could run complete out of kibble. Fortunately we had better luck in Wedena where a helpful gal at a local grooming parlour and all around pet place was able to sell us something that will keep Eliot happy until we return to Victoria and can get him more of his Go!
As we drove up Route 10 (in Minnesota) which I knew from my map went to Fargo, North Dakota, I did not see a single sign saying how far we had to go. As it turns out Fargo is right on the border with Minnesota. The last town before Fargo is Moorhead where I discovered yet another order outside from the little window Dairy Queen.
P1230586
Not five minutes later there were signs announcing that we had entered Fargo and North Dakota ... not that the Minnesota Department of Transport would want you to know. Fargo seemed to have a happening downtown and I would have stopped except that the railway divides the town and there are one way streets everywhere (much like Calgary). It was time for a break but I couldn’t deal with downtown parking and basically not knowing where I was (except for the Fargo bit).
But North Dakota is very flat. At least what we’ve seen so far. Reminds me a bit of parts of Saskatchewan that we passed through during Ute’s part of the trip east. After Fargo we hopped on Interstate 94 which the main drag through Fargo sort of ends up on. It goes pretty much in a straight line right across the state. We’ve made it to Jamestown which is about a quarter of the way.
P1230588
Like this forever.
I love my GPS but late this afternoon when I was trying to find a campground it led us down this road ... through a cornfield.
P1230591
It’s a legitimate road. It even had a road sign (37th Avenue) but clearly it was not much maintained. And it did eventually (after four miles) lead us to a campground which was rejected because it sat right beside the aforementioned Interstate 94. But GPS to the rescue as the next campground was quite acceptable. It’s a municipal campground on the Jamestown Reservoir and only cost $10 with great showers and lots of hot water! Mind you, we’re also right next door to the municipal airport but there are only planes with single engines and I suspect they will suspend operations when it gets dark. Happy campers.

No comments:

Post a Comment