Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Munising, Michigan to Deluth, Minnesota

Actually we’re somewhere southwest of Deluth. I’m just not exactly sure where. Out in the country where we’re camped on the edge of a trailer park. A bit “Texas Chainsaw-ish ...”. But I have Eliot to protect me.

So it was up bright and early this morning after a fitful night’s sleep what with the wind howling and rocking the van back and forth most of the night. The wind had died down by morning and all the tents seemed to still be where they were the night before. I can’t imagine their occupants got much shut-eye.

We headed out across Michigan passing through towns such as Marquette, Ishpeming, Sidnaw and Matchwood. There were some oddly named businesses too. How about the diner called “Upchuck’s”. I’m not kidding. On the other hand, the southern shores of Lake Superior seem to be unending stretches of sandy beaches. Very fine.

P1230574

By noon we had crossed over into Wisconsin and changed time zones to Central Daylight Savings Time. At one point I decided on a little pick-me-up and stopped at this Dairy Queen that is very old school with an outside window where you walk up to and give your order.

P1230576

But the best was yet to come. When I received my %^@&#@ I was also presented with this for Eliot!

P1230575

I’m sure you can imagine his delight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The top of Wisconsin is not very wide and by suppertime we were in Deluth, Minnesota. Deluth is at the very western edge of Lake Superior where there are more beautiful sandy beaches.

P1230577

Campgrounds had become scarcer the further west we travelled and seemed to be almost non-existent as we drove southwest from Deluth. We stopped at one which was quite nice and on a lovely lake. But there was no one in the office. In fact, we didn’t see a single soul during a ten minute walk around. A lot of these places have people who bring their trailers and set them up for the summer. Sort of a temporary or seasonal trailer park. So we drove on and eventually found another of these seasonal parks with a couple of men talking out front. They referred me to the ‘lady of the house’ who said to park out behind the garage (quite pleasant here). She only charged me $10.00. I’ve found water but no showers. What did I expect for ten bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment