Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Spanish, Ontario to Munising, Michigan

As early as this morning I was still debating whether or not to cross into the U.S. at Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. But the prospect of driving up over the top of Lake Superior again (and the price of gasoline) nudged me towards the U.S.

We got an early start from Mitchell’s Campground and headed towards S.S.M. which we made in good time around noon. I located a Bank of Montreal with almost no delay and obtained some U.S. funds. Then a quick lunch and off to the border which involved driving over two very large bridges that span the locks letting boats pass between Lake Superior and Lake Huron.

I hadn’t realized that it was September 11 until I drove up to U.S. Immigration. There electronic signs showing the various places of the 2001 attacks. When I was passing through eastbound, I had noticed huge numbers of cars and trucks backed up on the bridge. But today it was about a five minute wait with only three cars in front of us.

I got quite the interrogation probably because the guy had lots of time. He asked me to turn off the engine and I thought: “Oh, no. They’re going to take the van apart.” But they merely wanted to sniffer dog to give the van a once over without being done in by the exhaust from my 1984 engine.

We then proceeded along Hwy 26 which runs dead west in Michigan. It’s pretty dull for the first 100 miles. The driving wasn’t dull though as a huge wind with severe gusts had come up and it was both hands on the wheel all of the time to keep Helmut on the road.

We’ve stopped tonight at the municipal campground in Munising, Michigan. The campground sits in a pretty spot on the southern shore of Lake Superior. But the wind is still howling. Just glad I’m not in a tent tonight.

P1230567

P1230570

No comments:

Post a Comment