Saturday, September 8, 2012

Toronto, Ontario

Heather insisted that we sleep indoors last night (Friday). Just as well, because during the night the heavens opened up and heavy rain came down. And the downpours lasted well into the morning. It turned out to be the most rain that had even fallen on Toronto on a September 8. With all the rain that I have seen since June, I am beginning to suspect that I should be hiring myself out in areas of drought. Invite me to come and visit and the rains will come.

Heather, Wayne and I had had a good visit the night before. Eliot discovered the black squirrels that infest Toronto and began seeing what he could do about Heather and Wayne’s backyard since we were spending the evening out on the deck. However, at one point he was inside looking out through the screen on the door, when Heather’s cat Dinah approached. Eliot warned her off with a few good barks which scarred the poor cat causing her to high tail it to the back fence. She was eventually rescued by Heather’s son, Nathan, and for the rest of the weekend there was a delicate dance to keep the two separated.

Heather and I had a walk down Yonge Street, across Davisville and up Mount Pleasant Road. So much had changed since I lived there 22 years ago. I guess I should have expected that. Later that day when Heather was off to her guitar lesson, I wondered around the neighbourhood with Eliot. In particular I visited the two places I first rented when I moved to Toronto in the 1970s. That first apartment has been replaced by a rather ugly office/commercial building at the corner of Mount Pleasant Road and Eglinton Avenue.

P1230544

And the house on Taunton Road that I shared with friends (just around the corner from here) is also gone. I must have walked down this street many times during those years but much of it was quite unfamiliar. Well, it was over 35 years ago.

P1230551

Heather and I on her back deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment