Sunday, September 2, 2012

Forillon National Park

It had to happen and this morning it did. Eliot and I headed out around 11am to explore parts of Forillon National Park other than our campsite and the nearby beach. We took a short drive to the end of the road at Cap Bon Ami. When we arrived I discovered that I’d driven down the road without lowering the pop top on the Westy. I’ve read it’s one of those things you eventually forget to do. I also drove away once without pulling in the power cord. Oh, well. At least there weren’t any underpasses. I did NOT take a photo.

Our campground that we camped at in the north side of the park was very fine. A little shade; a little sun. And the beach was just a short walk away. The north side of the Gaspé Peninsula is much more rugged and mountainous than the south side. Cliffs plunge right into the sea and Helmut was tested on some of the climbs.

P1230430

I had driven the van (with the top up) down to the end of the road where these cliffs begin. When we arrived there was a big bbq going on and a bunch of people who all had apparently arrived on these odd hybrid motorcycles with three wheels (two on the front). I P1230441guess it’s the new best thing. In any event, if that wasn’t disconcerting enough, they had a blow up version of these vehicles being kept blown up by a noisy wind machine. Not exactly the sort of thing you expect to come across in a national park.

Despite the noise, the views were still astonishing.

 

 

P1230442 

Looking north to the tip of the Gaspé Peninsula.

We then headed to the south side of the park for a walk out to Land’s End. The other side is a little less rugged. There are not so many cliffs. And there’s an old gravel road that your can drive your bike along. I think Eliot may be beginning to feel his age so I don’t like to walk him too far. This route was 8 kilometers round trip so I put him in the carrier of the foldable bike and away we went. There were a lot of people on the trail and he got lots of waves and exclamations in French. And there were a couple of hills that I had to walk up. But it sure was a faster way to cover the four kilometers out. The effort was more than worth it. You can actually see the very tip of the peninsula.

P1230462

Which this is NOT actually. But it’s close by.

P1230457

And lots of birds riding the updrafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment