Friday, August 31, 2012

New Richmond to Percé, Quebec

We made a late start this morning. I’d woken up around 7am and heard heavy rain on the roof of the van. But when I finally crawled out at 8:30am everything outside was dry ... picnic table, van canopy, van windshields. Perhaps I’d dreamed the rain earlier in the morning. Still it was windy and overcast. Many cups of coffee later the sun was shining although the wind was still blowing.

When the rubber finally hit the asphalt, we backtracked a little to catch another of the photo exhibits I’d come across the day before. This one was aerial photos taken by Guy Lavigeur. The photos were displayed in a park in New Richmond and some of them were even attached to a short dock.

P1230352 This photo exhibition is a delightful surprise and I look forward to catching all of them (except the ones I’ve already missed) as I continue along Hwy 132 around the Gaspésie.

I came across the next exhibition in Bonaventure. It was a collection of portraits that Venessa Winship had taken in Georgia in the former U.S.S.R. They are a touching, melancholy set and my favourite so far.

P1230357

I located the final photo exhibit of the day at the marina in Chandler. It was a selection of a series of photos taken by Guillaume Cyr and Yana Ouellet of old, abandoned houses around the Gaspé. Some very haunting images.

P1230373

Today’s driving took us through many small towns and villages. I found it interesting to see the speed limits along various parts of the highway. The road is in fairly good condition and the limit is often 90k/h. However, even when you’re driving through fairly residential areas, the speed limit is often as high as 70k/h. There was, at least, a sign in a school area that indicated the speed limit was 50k/h until 5:00pm on school days. In most other provinces, I imagine it would be 30k/h. Perhaps the children of the Gaspésie are quicker on their feet than les Anglaises. And everyone seems to drive really fast. I always seem to have a line of vehicles behind me even through I’m doing the speed limit.

As we neared Percé, the landscape got more mountainous. Then suddenly, there is was: Roche Percé. I’d seen it in photos many times but I was unprepared for how big it really is. It’s HUGE.

P1230390

There was a rain shower just as we arrived so we even got a bonus rainbow.

P1230392

And I found a campsite with a fine view of the ‘rock’. I was able to sit in my lawn chair reading and watching the light change as the sun began to set. And I also took the odd additional photo. We’re parked near the edge of a cliff and I’ll be doing a double check of the emergency break before tucking Eliot and me into bed this evening.

P1230401

No comments:

Post a Comment