Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nehalem State Park to Olympic Nat. Park

Packed up today for the final leg of this month long road trip. The weather was so fine this morning ... not a cloud and the sun warming things up nicely by 9:00am. But duty calls. I see from the MEC intranet that I am scheduled for a shift on Monday, October 1. Besides I’ve run out of clean underwear and socks so we might as well pack it in.

No big rush today as there are only two sailings of the Coho Ferry from Port Angeles these days: at 8:00am and 2:00pm. And there’s about 6 hours of driving. So the plan was to stop overnight in Olympic National Park. Which we have.

On previous trips to the coast I’ve noticed, just north of Cannon Beach, a sign for Ecola State Park. I’ve always been past the turn off before I’ve noticed. Today I made a point of finding this park and it turned out to have some spectacular views of the coast. There’s a two mile winding, hilly road into the park. But lots of parking when you get there. And plenty of views like this.

P1230778

There are also hiking trails that will take you quite a ways north along the coast and down to some of the beaches. But we didn’t really have time to explore those. But next time for sure.

Next stop was Astoria, Oregon. Although we’d not come far it was time for lunch so I checked out a restaurant called The Blue Scorcher. I had a pesto pizza and a really tasty salad. The place had been recommended to me by a couple who had been befriended by Eliot at Nehalem. They were cooking with a frying pan a couple of sites over from ours and I suspect Eliot thought that bacon might be involved. Joke was on Eliot, they’re vegans!

P1230790

 

 

 

Building detail – Astoria

 

 

After lunch in Astoria it was a three hour drive to Olympic National Park in Washington State. The park is huge but we’re staying in a narrow strip of the park that runs for about 15 miles along the Pacific coast in Kaliloch. We arrived around 6:30pm. Time to catch a few shots of the sunset.

P1230792

No comments:

Post a Comment