Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 1–June 6

It turned out I wasn’t as badly organized as I thought although it was still approaching noon when I drove the van out of the parking lot at 419 Parry Street. Last minute tasks included getting my neighbours, Michelle and Richard, to witness my signature on a will that I had finally completed. (It’s in the top drawer in the laundry/computer room if it’s required – and I sincerely hope it isn’t – at least not any time soon.)

After a stop at Capital Iron for some electrical doo-dads, we sped up the Pat Bay Highway and caught the 1pm ferry. The trip was uneventful although Eliot did his usual shivering and seems best when just left alone in the van the traffic on the Vancouver side of things was horrendous. I think the same guy who programs the lights northbound on Blanchard in Victoria does freelance work for the city of Vancouver … or was I in Delta or Surrey. It was stop and go for miles and miles. Perhaps my GPS had led me on a round about route. It was after 4pm before we were finally on the TransCanada heading towards Hope with any kind of speed.

We stopped for the night in Manning Provincial Park. There were maybe half a dozen other campers. I spent the early evening doing some sewing on one of the van curtains that’s needed repair since I bought it and some more time installing a new car radio that will play mp3 files from a USB stick. (See electrical doo-dad reference above.) It was just a question of matching up wires by colour. It worked perfectly the first time I turned the key.

While we were having dinner inside the van the biggest crow I have ever seen landed on our picnic table to examine a few things that I’d put out to make more room in the van. He (or was it she) had a huge head and was larger than any seagull I’ve ever seen. He found nothing of serious interest on the table but gave Eliot and I some penetrating stares. Eliot did some barking from the side door of the van but did not venture out. The crow was at least as big as he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment